The revised draft of Proposed Policy #131 (Sexual Assault and Other Sexual Misconduct) is now available online.
The revised draft is the result of extensive community consultation, the introduction of provincial legislation and executive approval of resources for a central support office, and for a separate and distinct investigatory process.
You are invited to read the revised policy and submit feedback. The consultation period will run February 14, 2017 – March 14, 2017 and will provide a number of different ways to provide feedback. Learn more and submit your feedback.
Changes to the policy reflect the input and feedback the Policy Committee received through engagement with the UBC community. Highlights of the revised policy to note include:
New or significantly reworked elements:
- Scope broadened to include sexual misconduct
- Includes mandate of the new office and the supports it will provide
- Includes procedures which set out a separate and distinct investigatory process
Key aspects of the draft policy remain:
- Sets out the commitments and principles of the University
- Defines key terms such as ‘sexual misconduct’, ‘consent’, ‘disclosure’, ‘report’
- Provides details of support services and accommodation
- Sets out commitment to confidentiality and privacy, and explains when the University may be legally obligated to disclose personal information.
How To Provide Feedback
The UBC community is invited to comment on Proposed Policy #131 (Sexual Assault and Other Sexual Misconduct).
Community members are invited to participate in one of the in-person sessions that will be happening throughout the consultation period to learn more and ask questions. Feedback on the policy must be submitted in writing to the Office of the University Counsel at email@example.com or through an online feedback form.
How To Learn More
In-person information sessions:
Request a group meeting:
Representatives from the Policy Committee and Steering Committee are available to meet with campus community groups and departments. If you are interested in coordinating a group meeting please contact the Equity Office.